The Classical Cat Corner

Wear the old coat and buy the new book. --Austin Phelps

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Greek myths....and being Christians....

Can these two really mix? Are my boys at their young ages really ready to hear about "Mother Earth" or the "Lord of the Universe"? Am I missing something here? I mean listen to this: "Uranus became the Lord of the Universe by daring to obey his mother and taking a sickle to his father, Uranus." What do I say to my boys? This is what the Greek people believed way back when? What good are they supposed to get out of this? I've been really wrestling with this....maybe some of you can give me some insights. We are Christians and I just don't see how reading this will help my children educationally OR eternally.

Poppins? Mungo? Comments?

2 Comments:

At 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My kids see them as fairy tales, like Snow White or Cinderella. My older dd (9) sees the advantage of worshiping a God who really is a God, as it's pretty obvious that when man creates gods in man's image they're selfish, fickle, cranky, and generally...dumb. My 5yo theologian has not yet asked why the Greeks didn't worship the true God, but I'm confident that day will come, and will lead to a great discussion.

 
At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got mail. :) -Mungo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home