The Classical Cat Corner

Wear the old coat and buy the new book. --Austin Phelps

Sunday, May 22, 2005

I've been tagged.....BOOKS!

Well, it seems that it is my turn. Sarah tagged me to discuss a meme about books. I was needing some inspiration to blog again and I think this is it.

1. What is the total number of books owned, ever: I have NO idea...hundreds? Thousands? Some seem to come and go depending on the time in my life, which season I'm in. The only one that has been there and stayed there is the Bible.

2) Last book I bought: For myself would be Climbing Parnassus. I'm still trying to make my way through that one. The only time lately that I've had a chance to read has been late at night and that is NOT a good time to read THIS book! Now that school is almost over for the year, I'll have more of a chance to read during the daytime while the boys are outside playing. I'm ALL the time buying books for the boys although I rarely buy any for myself. Oh, I did just by one...I forgot because I haven't received it yet. It is called Holy Hormones by Ron Eaker, MD. I'm proud to say that he is my doctor.

3) Last book I read: The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. Ok, this isn't the greatest work of fiction, but I usually read mostly non-fiction books and decided to have some brain candy. I'm sure the story in this book could have easily happened to someone in real life and it just showed me the depths of love that a husband can have for his wife. In fact, I'd say that my love for Popeye would equal what was told in this book.

4) Five books that mean a lot to me:

a) The Bible. First and foremost. An easy answer to the question? Yes, but, it is the truth. I remember as a child reading the Bible. When I don't know what to read in my quiet time with the Lord, I turn to the Psalms or Proverbs. The Lord uses those words to comfort and instruct me. When I want to read of my Savior's love for me, I turn to Matthew or Luke. When I want to read of what glories await me, I turn to Revelation. It is my comfort and my guide.

b) The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. This book became the "Bible" of breastfeeding for me when my Sweet Pea 1 was born. I've actually given copies of this book away to new moms hoping that they will find the answers to their questions and the support that I found.

c) The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise. This book helped change the face of education and homeschooling for me. I have gone on to read other books after this (one which I mentioned above and am currently working on) like Climbing Parnassus. One was a segway for the next and I have a few others after this to get to about education.

d) The How and Why of Homeschooling by Ray Ballmann. This book was the catalyst to the lifestyle we have today. Homeschooling is a lifestyle if you allow it to be. After reading this book and talking with Popeye about it, we decided to pray and seek the Lord to the answer of "is homeschooling for us?" We received an affirmative YES!

e) A Woman's High Calling by Elizabeth George. This book helped produce MAJOR change in me and in my marriage. I had a lot of problems with LETTING Popeye be the head of our family and our household. The Lord called him to do that, not me. There have been remarkable changes for the better since I worked through this book.

Ok, now it is my turn to tag someone else....hmm....let's see. (big grin) Staci, Crissy and Jean in WI.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home