The Classical Cat Corner

Wear the old coat and buy the new book. --Austin Phelps

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

It's working, it's not working, it's working, it's not working

Latin and American History....the new thorns in my side. :)

Not really.

We are nearing the end of our journey with Prima Latina. Only a few more weeks. We have enjoyed it for the most part and I would recommend this program to anyone who wants a nice, gentle intro to Latin. So then I had planned on going on into Latina Christiana I, right? I had previewed it by borrowing a friend's DVDs. I had bought the whole program....Well, I just could NOT keep my fingers in my ears (or is that eyes off the computer screen?) when the subject of Latin for Children (LfC) came up. I tried and tried. I ignored it for quite some time. I read the samples online, looked at the DVD sample online and it just SCARED me too much! So I dismissed it again and again.....until one of the latest discussions came up. People whom I respect use LCI! People whom I respect use LfC!

I ordered it....and it arrived today!!!!!

I LOVE it!!!!!!!

BOTH LCI and LfC are wonderful programs.....but I find that this is more fun. A homeschool dad teaching his daughters and a friend....seeing the family dog, (and cat who tries to get into the show!), seeing the girls fidget and smile.....I hope Sweet Pea 1 likes it as much as I do. I think he will.

The activity book is filled with really cool puzzles to help reinforce what you are learning. We BOTH love that! SP1 saw it today and was THRILLED....he doesn't want to finish Prima! Hmmmm....that sure is tempting!! ;)

Now on to American History.

If you've read my blog, you know that we are taking our education toward a more traditional aka Latin-centered bent. That means putting Latin and math in the forefront of our studies, while still studying history through the Bible and Greek Myths and Men of Rome. We also will cover American History and World history but not as systematically (read WTM-ish) as some.

This year we are going to cover through 1775 of American History. I purchased Truthquest American History for Young Students I (TQ) along with several spines listed in TQ. We started reading last week. It just hasn't caught on. We tried again this week. The spine just isn't working for us. Too dry. The books I'm getting SP1 to read during assigned reading time are great! I love TQ for those, but the spines just are not getting it here.

So, I started reading about Winter Promise. This is very similar to Sonlight in that it is literature-based. The schedule is already made up for you. There are hands-on activities included and a book to guide you if you want to do more. I really think I need this. I should know myself well enough by now to know I need that done for me. (That is why I used BiblioPlan last year with Story of the World). I need the books here for me.

So. I ordered a catalog from them and I think this is the way we will go. I will be able to use this for 2 1/2 years. I will have to fill in readers for SP1 and 2 over that time (which is fine since I have TQ! :) ). I REALLY, REALLY think this will be a good thing for us.

I'm happy now....or I will be once I get my Winter Promise order (waiting on that catalog first though). :)

2 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Blogger Staci Eastin said...

::puts fingers in ears::

I am not listening to you. LALALALALALA!!! I cannot hear you talking about LfC! LALALALALA!!

Staci, who is liking LCI so far.

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fingers firmly in ears.

And pass the blinders, please.

I see nothing here about LvC. Nothing about Winter Promise.

Next blog, please. Move along. Nothing of interest here. Nope. Nothing. No way am I typing that into a google search right now, no sirree, not me. Must leave computer NOW....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home