The Classical Cat Corner

Wear the old coat and buy the new book. --Austin Phelps

Monday, July 25, 2005

What's going on so far in our school year....

This is week 3 in our 3 on, 1 off schedule. The boys tried to talk me into taking THIS week as our week off, but I vetoed that pretty quickly! LOL I think we are making nice progress so far. I think I'm really going to like the schedule we're doing this year.

I decided to use Homeschool Tracker to record our lesson plans, help me keep track of attendance (which I have to report each month), and make assignments. Sweet Pea 1 thrives on "what time are we doing....". He likes checking off his lists too. I really like this program. The update coming out in late August is going to just be the icing on the cake.

Latin is going GREAT! Only about 5 more weeks and we will be finished with Prima Latina (for Sweet Pea 1) and we'll be on to Latina Christiana I. I'm excited about it! Today we started working on our first conjugation! I LOVED grammar when I was in school (yes, I'm strange!) so this is just FUN for me! SP1 is taking to it well too! I don't require SP2 to learn it right now because even though he probably could, he isn't reading yet nor has any English grammar under his belt (except this year he HAS already learned what a noun is!!). He does pick up words here and there, and he is usually within ear shot, so hopefully something is going to stick until we get going with him in Latin.

Math is rolling along. We are all having fun with math! RightStart Math is just the greatest thing for my boys! I never hear groans from them when it comes to math. Occasionally, SP1 will get frustrated, but I'm working on keeping him calm. On Friday, he couldn't get a list of numbers into the calculator without messing up. It was a lesson on using the Memory Key. He thought it was cool. SP2 is working on partitioning, which different combinations of numbers make up certain numbers.

Spelling/Phonics is coming along well. My friend Wanda and I developed a better way to work a schedule for spelling. We are dictating 5 words each day with a quiz each day on the previous words. Each word will be quizzed 5 times and by then they REALLY should know how to spell the word. We are also doing enrichment activities using the words. SP2 is working on his handwriting before we get too far into the spelling aspect, so that he can write these for himself. He knows all the letter sounds and has even read a word or two, so I'm hoping to have him reading in the next few months. SP2 is really racing along in First Language Lessons. I think he likes this book just because it is he and I cuddled up on the couch. He has even learned almost perfectly one poem "The Caterpillar" and he has "Work" half learned. And as I mentioned above, he can tell you what a noun is and what some common nouns are.

Sweet Pea 1 is learning to type too. He is doing pretty good!

We start the rest of our subjects in 2 weeks when we come back from our break. Sweet Pea 1 will be starting Classical Writing-Aesop. I'm excited yet nervous about this.

Both boys will be reading and studying about Greek Mythology, American History and we will be reading some other stories written by Hawthorne and some other authors for our English studies.

All in all, not a bad start, if I DO say so myself!

1 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww, what memories this post brings to me. I can recite The Caterpillar and Work from 2.5 years ago when 9yo did them...her little sister learned them at the time, too. I can remember thinking at the time, "oh great, what am I going to do when #2 is ready to do First Lang. Lessons, since she already has the poems memorized." Not to mention the prayers she memorized from Prima Latina.....

(Note that I did NOT email this comment to you, LOL!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home