The Classical Cat Corner

Wear the old coat and buy the new book. --Austin Phelps

Friday, April 29, 2005

Poetry and reading......

Everyone has me intrigued with reading poetry. Poppins , Mungo, and others are incorporating poetry reading into their schedules next year. I remember loving poetry when I was in school. I never could interpret it but I loved the way it sounded. I loved writing it. Now to decide which poet's works to study. I may go with one from the list on Tanglewood. Dickinson and Stevenson have some very nice poetry. It would save me the planning just to go with this. Hmmm....we'll see. My personal favorite is e.e. cummings.

Today is a sick day for us.....hey, if the public school children can have excused absences, then we can too! Popeye said that he would sign the "excused absence form" for us. Sweet Pea 1 isn't feeling well today. It just came on him suddenly yesterday evening....slight fever and achey legs. He ASKED to go to bed at 6:30 so I KNOW something is up.

Here is a cute little poem that I really like. Maybe because I have boys?

The Little Turtle by Vachel Lindsay

There was a little turtle.
He lived in a box.
He swam in a puddle.
He climbed on the rocks.

He snapped at a mosquito.
He snapped at a flea.
He snapped at a minnow.
And he snapped at me.

He caught the mosquito.
He caught the flea.
He caught the minnow.
But he didn't catch me.

1 Comments:

At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get both Dickenson and Stevenson! Two poems a week and you've got about 40 weeks of poetry. They're such gorgeous books, too. So many poetry books for kids have less-than-stellar drawings. Inspid, icky or ugly. Why? Why?

Poppins

 

Post a Comment

<< Home