The Classical Cat Corner

Wear the old coat and buy the new book. --Austin Phelps

Saturday, January 13, 2007

No more Bah Humbug for me....

I'm feeling better. We've completed our first 1.5 weeks of school of 2007. I have changed a few things and I think this is helping me.

I decided to change the phonics program for Sweet Pea 2. We decided to try ABeCeDarian. This program is similar to Reading Reflex and the author has also studied theWriting Road to Reading. The program we were using Spell to Write and Read is based off of the Writing Road to Reading. I didn't feel like it would be too far of a stretch to use the new program. So far, so good. I don't dread teaching it and SP2 is learning.

I changed the spelling program that Sweet Pea 1 is using. He too was using Spell to Write and Read, but I felt the need to go with something else for awhile. We are trying out Calvert Spelling. SP1 has only worked on the pretest so the jury is still out on that. I will also be adding a vocabulary program soon. Not sure which one yet though.

I've also needed to add more required reading for SP1. My wonderful friend has made up a great list of books for the Ancients and has graciously posted it on her blog for all to use. I ordered those last night from Amazon and we will be on their way soon.

SP1 is able to work almost independently and that is relieve a big burden while I work with SP2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home