The Classical Cat Corner

Wear the old coat and buy the new book. --Austin Phelps

Monday, January 23, 2006

About homeschooling....

This blog is about homeschooling really....but I do enjoy sharing my knitting projects...I hope you don't mind.

After many days of feeling that I could homeschool no more, I finally made the decision that I can't homeschool classically....and not even traditionally classical. It was killing Sweet Pea 2s love of learning. He hated school, not that he loves it now, but he does much better with what we've come up with.

He is basically almost self-teaching. We are using Robinson Curriculum, learning vocab from that, reading the books, reading whatever else history and science-wise that I can find for him because he really likes those subjects. We are still doing grammar a few days per week and will continue with Latin, but we are taking a break from that for a few months. He is doing copywork (which he seems to enjoy), and still doing spelling with Spell to Write and Read, but we've changed it to where he only needs me to dictate new words each day and that takes about 5 min.

That isn't all that we are doing, but if I need a short day, he does math, reading and copywork, and I call it good.

1 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, Blogger GailV said...

Good for you for teaching the child and not the curriculum. It's hard to let go of the things we've devoted so much energy to, like Classical Ed or RightStart, but sometimes that's what we need to do.

I can't decide whether to enter the olympics. I'm more tempted now that you're saying you might.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home