The Classical Cat Corner

Wear the old coat and buy the new book. --Austin Phelps

Thursday, September 15, 2005

This webcam is TOO cool!!!

National Geographic's WildCam Africa

We were GLUED to this website this morning! I was having a hard time getting going with lessons today but this turned out to be one of the BETTER homeschooling days we've had in a while.

The boys slept in after being up really late after church. I got up late too. I sat here at the computer watching this webcam and listening to the flies in Africa while I perused other websites at the same time. You could say we had "unschooling science" class today. We talked about the different time zones since Botswana is 6 hours ahead of our time zone. We looked at the different pictures of the animals that come to get water at this pond. We saw several Nile crocodiles, a family of warthogs that were just too cute, a large herd of Blue Wildebeests and some other hooved animals that I can't decide between (Steenbok, Common Duiker, or Bushbuck). Tonight we've seen two giraffes! I really wanted to see an elephant but we were eating dinner when they came by.

After this, I assigned Sweet Pea 1 his Latin work and explained his math and I was off to get my shower. After I worked with SP1 on questions he had and then cuddled and worked with SP2. His reading is starting to come now AND his handwriting. He is just a young 6 year old so giving him time has been a good thing for him. We listened to our Latin chant CD to practice those while waiting for the pizza man to bring our FREE pizza. They messed up on our order last time so I contacted corporate. :) The boys and I listened to some classical music for awhile and then we went to the library and SP1's piano lesson.

We had a really good day! I think I might start doing Thursdays like this all the time!

2 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops! Thanks for reminding me -- I had meant to tune in to that webcam first thing this morning! Hope we haven't missed too much.

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I think you'll appreciate this A.M. at our house. The scene: our family room, which has the TV at one end and the computer at the other. Dd is sitting on the floor looking through a book, I'm doing Ttapp Basic. I reach down to grab my ankles, 2,3,4 "Look, honey! There are elephants at the watering hole!" flip palms and roll up, tuck, tuck.

Yes, Ttapp and webcam as seen between my legs during stretches! What a morning! What multi-tasking!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home